Monday, August 10, 2009

NFL Preview Show Extravaganza: Chicago Bears

(Editor's Note: No questions for today. I've been holding out on my thoughts of the Cutler trade for months now. This is my chance to talk about the Cutler trade.)

So the Bears went 9-7 in 2008. It was a much better season than I had anticipated. I give the Bears a lot of credit for hanging in there throughout the year. The Bears made one of the biggest moves of the offseason though. What did they do...?

They traded Kyle Orton to the Denver Broncos for one Jay Cutler. For the first time in a long time, the Bears have a quarterback for fans to be excited about...right...?

I'd be lying if I said I was excited to see what Cutler does. The fact is, I'm skeptical about the new "Cutler Era" in Chi-town. By no means am I doubting the ability of Cutler. Cutler is an excellent young quarterback and definitely has a lot of upside to him.

However, for many years now, the Bears philosophy on offense has been to run the football. Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, Bronko Nagurski and Rashaan Salaam (yes I went there), need I really say more. Chicago Bears football is about playing tough defense and running the football on offense. Passing is secondary.

Consider this: the Bears have never had a 4,000 yard passer in the team's history. Let me repeat that again! The Bears have never had a 4,000 yard passer...ever!

In fact, only four quarterbacks have thrown for 3,000 yards in the team's history. Erik Kramer (twice), Rex Grossman, Billy Wade and Jim Harbaugh are the only Bears quarterbacks to throw for 3,000 yards.

Here's another fun fact, no Bears quarterback has ever passed for 30 touchdowns in a season. Erik Kramer holds the single season record with 29 touchdown passes.

It's hard not to be skeptical about Cutler when the Bears have had 24 different starting quarterbacks since 1991.

I'm withholding all of my judgment on Cutler until I see him take snaps at center for the Bears. But that won't stop me from being skeptical.

No comments: